Saturday, October 01, 2005

Grid Renders and the SLCC Sims

I've found the Faux Terrain map style I described below to work pretty well. In fact, it's become my default view as I use Grid Chart. I decided to apply this style as textures to a 3DSMax model of the Second Life grid and see how it came out. Below are a few rendered results.

The first image is a closeup of the racing sims customized for the first annual Second Life Community Convention to be held October 8-9 in New York. It's hard to tell in this image, but those little mountains spell out SLCC. The second and third images show the whole mainland. The third image is 1024x768 because I wanted to use it as a desktop for a bit.

Click to enlarge.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maaan, I gotta stop reading this blog. It makes me want to dump all my current projects and start on my mapping project.

Gonna have to kidnap the great mappers of SL and have them teach me how to do it! Mwahahahahaha!

Cadroe said...

No kidnapping necessary, trep, just pop on over to the LSL Wiki! llGround() tells you the terrain height, llGetRegionCorner() gives you sim's global coordinates, etc.

http://secondlife.com/badgeo/

Anonymous said...

Tee-hee, it's not the LSL side of things. It's the external server and communication between the data gatherer thingies and the storage medium.